Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week there is a new topic for bloggers to choose and list their top ten. This week’s theme is Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly NOT Want To Read A Book, and in particular order, here are mine:
10. “Steamy” – if a book is described to me as being “steamy” that means to me that it’s smut, there’s likely no plot and I will definitely not read it.
9. “If you love (insert author/book) then you’ll love this!” – If the book can’t survive on it’s own merit, if it has to piggyback off the success of other authors or books, then I’m not interested. I don’t want to read knock offs of my favorites.
8. Over-hyping – There are some books that show up everywhere and it seems like everyone is reading them. Those books that are being gushed over and everyone says are just amazing, well, I don’t really want to read them cuz there’s no way they’re going to live up to all that hype.
7. The Cover – if there’s a half naked guy or a couple in a passionate embrace, likely that book is full of sex scenes and lacking in plot. Not for me, thanks.
6. True Crime – While I’m sure there is absolutely nothing wrong with this genre, it doesn’t interest me. I read to escape from reality so I’m not interested in the messed up things people do in real life.
5. Fads – Fads are a fact of life. Something becomes popular and everyone else wants a piece of that success. If a book falls into a current fad, I’m not going to read it.
4. The World Wars – I don’t know why but I’ve never liked books/movies/etc that are about the world wars. I’ve always found them too Americanized and they just don’t interest me.
3. Westerns – Again, I’m sure this a perfectly good genre, but it just isn’t my cup of tea.
2. YA – While have and read do still read some YA, for the most part I prefer not to read it. I’m likely to pass it over for something geared towards adults, as I myself am an adult and I no longer want to read about people in high school.
1. Repetitiveness/Sameness – A lot of books have the same sort of plot or theme. I want to read something unique!
Well, that’s my list. Do you agree? Do you disagree? What’s yours?